Saturday, January 24, 2015

Negotiating...on the road.

'I got a problem,' I said to the cabbie.  'And I'm just going to flat out tell you.  I thought I had enough money in my account to cover the cab ride, but I didn't.  As a matter of fact, I only have about $37 dollars total.  Listen, I'm a veteran, struggling with alcohol, and I'm just trying to get some help.  I know you can't get me to Manchester, but how close can you get me to Derry?  I can try to hitch or something from there, and maybe my girlfriend will let me back in until I figure out what I need to do next.'  And the amazing part of this is, is that I truly believed everything I said.  It also didn't hurt that I don't think he saw me carry the bag of mini wine bottles into the cab.

He turned and looked at me.  'You a vet?' he said.  "How much money do you have?'  'Thirty seven and change, I think.'  He paused.  'Alright.  I'll take you to Derry for $37.  Thanks for serving, and I'm glad you are getting help.  As a matter of fact, I'll take you to Manchester for $37 if that's where you need to go.'  I couldn't believe it.  But then I started to panic again.  I knew one bottle of wine wasn't going to get me where I needed to be, and I was out of cash.  If I actually went to the Veteran's Hospital in Manchester, the run would be over.  I was losing it again.

'Hey, thanks buddy, but I don't want you to go out of your way and lose even more money.  I appreciate all you are doing, but if you just get me to Derry, I'm sure my girlfriend will take me to Manchester.  I really appreciate it, though.'  'OK, your call', he said as he backed that cab out of the parking lot.

All I could think of was, do I have enough change laying around her house to get something else to drink.  I grabbed one of the little bottles of wine from the bag, unscrewed the top, and looked in the rear-view.  The cabbie's eyes were firmly on the road.  I tilted it up and chugged it down, and as I finished, I looked back at the mirror, only to see him looking at me.  He didn't say a word, and I capped that little bottle and shoved it back into the bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment